I made everything from scratch so the first step was to make the pineapple jam. I got some lovely pineapples from my local market.
I grated the pineapple slices using a food processor and cooked it with cinammon, cloves , lemon juice and sugar. It took a few hours to cook on a low heat and this is the end result.
The pastry was simple to make as it was just a case of blending everything together - my favourite kind of recipe :) It was a really soft and crumbly pastry so I was unable to make open tarts. I made 3 different types of closed tarts - a roll with open ends, a round shape and something that is meant to look like a pineapple but actually bears no resemblance. I personally like the round ones the best and they sort of resemble a tangerine with the clove in the middle. This pastry literally melts in your mouth. I'll definitely be making these again in the future.
Pineapple Jam
2 pineapples
1 stick of cinammon
9 cloves
Approximately 3/4 cup sugar (adjust to taste) (I used 1/2 cup white sugar and just over 1/4 cup of brown sugar)
Juice of 1/2 a lemon
Pastry
250g butter
50g icing sugar
2 egg yolks
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
350g flour
50g cornflour
Eggwash
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon water
To make the pineapple jam:
- Peel and cut pineapple into slices.
- Grate using a grater or food processor.
- Strain pineapple juice. Tip: It makes a really refreshing drink whilst cooking. I got a whole bowful of juice from my 2 pineapples above.
- Cook with all other ingredients for jam over a low-medium heat, stirring frequently.
- Continue cooking until the jam thickens and dries up. You need the jam to be as dry as possible to make the tarts.
- Cool jam completely before using.
To make the pastry:
- Cream the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Beat in 2 egg yolks, 1 at a time and mix well.
- Add vanilla extract and salt.
- Fold in flour and cornflour and mix to form a dough.
To make the pineapple tarts:
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Enclose jam in dough and shape as desired.
- Brush with eggwash.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until golden brown. Mine took a while as they were fairly large!



0 comments:
Post a Comment